Sunday, August 24, 2008

In town again

Okay right now I am in town to take this lil boy named Tomasi who has a very infected toe to the hospital for an injection. I think I have mentioned him before on my blog but recently I have convinced his parents to take him to the hospital on Saturday morning. tomasi had to go because he has been missing school for a month now and they kept putting smashed green leaves on the wound thinking it was going to help but really it was making it worse. So, me, tomasi, and his dad went to the hospital Sat. morning and on the bus tomasi's dad said I was wasting his time and his money by asking him to take his own son to the hospital. Let me tell you I was so damn made by the comment I didn't know what to say. I kept my mouth shut for the time being just because of Tomasi. But I was thinking are you kidding me all he spends time and money on is drinking grog and smoking. and it's only 2 hours of his sat. morning. Are you kidding me? I kept thinking how I took 2 freakin years of my life and left all the people I love and care about in another country to help strangers far away and wasted thousands of dollars to convince this stupid man to take his own son to the doctor cause in a few more weeks tomasi would lose his foot that's how bad the infection was. You would look at it and you would want to throw up. I was so upset but that I wanted to come home and I talked to Kelera about it and she made me feel much better cause I was thinking if this is the kind of attitude I am going to get when I am only trying to help I will not be able to handle that for the next 2 years that's for sure. But Kelera convinced me that the village needs and wants me here. So Tomasi has to come back to the hospital today and tomorrow and the parents don't have enough money to take him for the bus fare so I agreed to take him and pay with is like 5 dollars I can spare for the boy. I just hate it that he can't play with his friends or go to school he has already missed his exams to go to the next grade so he has to repeat the following grade he was to complete but couldn't cause he missed too much school from his toe cause the kids have to walk 6 miles to school everyday!

Going to the hospital is a whole another story. That place is a mess. Today there was blood all over the floor and no running water. The governement doesn't provide anything just injections which I am not sure what they even do for someone really.

So, I have been training for my soccer games and running early in the morning with people from my village at 6 am. Up and down the mountains and I can tell it has really helped. It is hard to practice soccer cause they field is so bad but I get a few kicks in every once in a while.

I can't remember if I told the story about the trip to nadala the village up past mine. But it was hell. I think I called it feeling like a caged animal. I had nothing but crackers and lemon leaf tea from two days straight and I got so sick and I was so cold. All they had for a bathroom was a pit hole and no toilet paper. Not Cool! Oh yeah and before I left I was waiting for the transport to come and I had fallin asleep and woke up to a room of a bunch of Fijian men drinking grog and they wanted me to introduce myslef and shake hands with them all which I hate doing cause I have to crawl around on my knees and pretend to be this stupid American tourist until they hear me speak the language then they think I have been married into the village which I explain I am not that I am a Peace Corps volunteer and so on. They love asking to take my picture on their phones I don't know why but i think it is pretty creepy to want to take a picture of someone just because they are from the U.S.

Okay to start the comparisons of Fijians (the inteiror) and West Virginians.If anyone is offended by my comments get over it because I am bored over here and I think it funny. So get over it.

1) most people don't have most of their teeth
2)still sportin the mullets and rat tails and today I saw the shaved in stairs or steps on the side that was popular in the early 90's. NICE!
3)can't understand them because of their accent or dialect
4) still ride horses on gravel roads
5)still listens to old country songs like Shania Twain (in Lautoka I actually danced to a disco version of Shania Twain's old classic but I was just so excited I knew the song and the words)
6) they both know the "Country Roads" song and sings it often
7)both live in the mountains
8)have cattle running around and farms
9) both have kids running around naked
10) swims in rivers and jumps of cliffs and considers that their bath

That's all I got for now but I am sure I will come up with more later> I hope you enjoyed my incite!

Okay moving on, I met these 3 cute smart little girls that live intown and come to our village every once in a while for church and they speak perfect English probably better than my English. I can't wait to hang out with them again.

It is also been nice the pastor's wife from the AOG church as been inviting me to her house for lunch which is the first time someone as officially invited me to eat with them. I wonder sometimes why people haven't been inviting me because that is usually a Fijian custom but the pastor's wife seems to think that people need to buy food in town for me to eat and that they don't have enough money to do that so they don't invite me over for dinner. But in reality I will still eat their food. I just don't think people think I am really goin to be here for 2 years.

I have been decorating my house a lil bit more chaning up the fabrics making it look nicer. I will be putting up some pictures up soon so don't worry.

Oh, on the secodn soccer game we won 1-0! I played a much better game because it wasn't has hot I get fried during the games.

I am very excited to get this week over with because one the kids will be going back to school. They have had a 2 week vacation and they always come over to my house and want to play but I always feel so crappy and old I can't keep up with them. I don't know if it is because it is so hot or just because I really don't like kids. And I get to see my dear friend Kendall this weekend. She is having a very hard time so I am going to go save her and we are going to spend sometime with each other and catch up with what has been going on in our lives. Well, I think that is it for now I have tried to sum things up so it wouldn't be as long but I didn't leave too much details out. I will keep writing if you guys keep responding and once again HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!

1 comment:

Linds said...

Duffers- I loved the West Virginia/Fijian comparisons haha it was too funny! I am very proud of you for taking the little boy to the hospital, go you & your medical mindset!!! I miss & love you Duff!!!!!!!

Ps...can't believe that your lazy old ass is running @ 6am now, wow times have changed! haha T says she doesn't even do that & she WAY younger than you!!