Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another soccer weekend!

I had a soccer tournament in Nadi this weekend. We won our first game 3-1 and lost the second game 0-1. Some of the usual girls could not show for this tournament so we had some new girls and so I got to play my usual position as right fullback and it feels so good. I felt so much better back there and I don't have to do as much running in the hot sun. Their idea of a flat back four is very interesting for me but I think in time it will turn into a true flat back I hope cause i will go crazy in the back if it doesn't change. I am excited because I get to go to the movie theater today and watch a movie quite the concept for me. I am very excited! What else I was going to put those pictures up but this internet cafe is a bit expensive and the program I use on this computer in is Japanese characters which makes things a bit hard guessing what to click hoping I don't lose my pictures. I have some of the soccer girls but I couldn't get anyone to take a picture of me playing cause i am afraid of leaving my camera with someone. This coming up weekend I am going to the Coral Coast to the beach with some peace corps friends I am very pumped about. two full days at a beach and not being bothered or harassed sounds good to me. Then the following weekend I have another soccer tournament in Ba then the following weekend I am in-service training at a resort in Nadi which will be nice to see all my friends from the other islands. So the next couple of weeks will be full of excitement. Sophia is doing well and growing up to be quite the quality dog. She is getting out of her puppy ways and that makes me sad I want her to stay a little dog but her fur is growing back and she is starting to look like a real dog. I really don't have much more to say I pretty much got everything up on Friday that I wanted to say. I should be able to update again at the end of the week and get the beach pictures up after that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Duff!
It is Monday morning here and the news is dominated by the devastation of Hurricane Ike which really ravaged the Texas coast. Galveston took the brunt of it with major damage by both the winds and the storm surge. It is feared that there may be quite a few deaths as 40% of the residents of Gavelston ignored the evacuation order and they have not yet gotten in to search one portion of the island. The disaster has pushed the presidential race off the front page for a few days...we have about 50 days to go until we elect a new president and unfortunately the majority of the discussion centers on age, race and gender.....sounds like real meaty issues for the US to be obssessed with! Other than that the country is bracing for another spike in gas prices....the hurricane forced the closure of not only the drilling rigs in the gulf but more importantly the closure of the Texas refineries. There was a "run" on gas the end of last week and the word is that the price is going to continue to rise. We shall see. We are also in the third week of football so most of us red blooded american males...young and old...are spending way too much time watching football! (I'm sure Chris is as well!) I know you are looking forward to his visit as I am sure he is as well! Don't forget to post those rugby/soccer/whatever pics of him in action with your Fijian friends and Peace Corps colleagues.
I'll get to work now...thanks for maintaining your awesome blog...I love reading up on your adventures there in service to the people of Fiji! We love you...Rick, Deb, Zach and Ethan!

Kelsey said...

Awwww - now that guy above me is pretty awesome!! He sure does miss you, I think more than is other daughter ;o)

We missed you so much for Laleh's birthday! We fixer her dinner and made sure she felt realllllly old!! But don't worry, the celebration has not ended and we still have a few more surprises rolled up our sleeves. Othen doing the birthday thing, all the roomies are well. Working seems to replace most everything in our lives and literally drains us of everything, but we still find time to kick back, coma style :o)

Well young one, you only have a few weeks left of your youth before you too fall in the "old" age category. Enjoy it while you can!!

Ohhh and I'm so excited for you that you are able to find some time to play some soccer down there. That is awesome!! And running in the mornings?!?! Duff, is that really you out there?!? Can't wait to hear from you again ... love and miss you mucho!!!