Thursday, July 31, 2008

Things are lookin good....

I have been at my site for one week so far and I am really starting to like it. I have washed all my clothes in the river at least three times now and I love it. It's so beautiful down there. I swim everyday and jump off cliffs into the water with Kelera when we get bored and there is nothing to do. I am still working out the whole eating situation because I am not used of not have a frig. But I will get the hang of it. I met with alot of people in the village so people are starting to talk to me now and I am learnin the new dialect. I also am playing soccer with some primary school kids and by the way Jason the kids love Twizlers here. WOW! The met the youth in the village which just so happen to be all boys which is a bit intimidating. The rugby coach is also the Asembly of God pastor and for some reason he just thinks I'm it and wants me to play touch rugby everyday with the boys but I play for like 5 minutes cause they are too fast and scary for me then I just move to the side and play soccer. But since I have been in Fiji I have not been allowed to play rugby with the boys the village I live in seem to respect women cause even in the village meeting about me and my safety the women did most of the talking. They have built the fence around my bathroom and shower so I feel really safe now and people come over at night and play cards and so on. We went literally in the bush freakin jungle the other day to clean the village dam and that was pretty interesting. I have pictures of all the swearing in but they are taking forever and I am not sure I will be able to ever get them up in these internet cafes in Tavua. I went to a church service last night that was pretty traumatizing for me. They said that I was the answer to their prayers and so they proceeded to put their palms on me and pray out loud individually for my safety for the next two years and that I don't get home sick. It was scary! Well, I don't have alot of time to write cause I need to get some food for the next week. But I would love to hear from people and what is going on in our lives cause you all know what is going on here in Fiji but I always wonder what is going on in the U.S.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

Ok so i have to ask...
did you get to keep your puppy?!
i really didnt want to ask because you havent said anything about her lately but i had to know.
Josh and i got a kitten from the human society. He is awsome his name is jumbo because when we got him they told us he was a pit bull in a kittens body. when we took him to the vet it took three nurses and a towel to give him to shots. they didnt dare take his temperature. But as soon as we got him back home he came out of the carrier purring.
So besides the cat Josh and i now spend all weekend on the river. he and his dad went together and got a boat.
I think dad is going through a mid life crisis. He shaved his head and he and mom got a Pontiac Soltcis. Its a little white convertible with two seats. i asked them where i was suppose to sit and told them that they needed to get me a side car.
We are finnally getting copies of the wedding. Let me know if you can play it on your computer or if i need to find a way to put it online.
Anyway glad you feel safe in your new home!
Miss you bunches!

Alisha Duffield said...

Sorry, I could not bring Sophia all the way from Draubuta to my new village because it's too far. I had to carry everything I own on my back. I miss her so much but I am keeping my eyes open for a new pup I can snatch up!