Sunday, July 27, 2008

It's Official!!!

That's right! I am officially a Peace Corps volunteer! It's kind of crazy. I have so much time on my hands I don't even know what to do. Since I have sworn in I have been washing my own clothes in the river in my backyard. Yeah, so life's not so sweet. I am trying to download the pictures from swearing in right now but I am not at my usual internet place and I am in a little remote town so I'm not sure I will be able to put up pics for a while. Things have been rough lately because the excitement of swearing in and finally becoming a Peace Corps volunteer has died down now and I am left sitting in the dark (literally)! It was really hard to say bye to the Pre-Service staff and the other volunteers. Oh yeah, a couple of anouncements I forgot to mention, one, I did pass the language LPI final test with an intermediate low I have moved up for novice high. Quite impressive for this little girl from WV. Thank you! By the way bot everyone passed the test which is crazy. And as a group of volunteers in Fiji we were the first to swear in everyone in our group all 32 of us made it through pre-service trainging. First time ever for Fiji Peace Corps! No one has early terminated YET!

At this point the only thing that is keeping me alive is the fact that Chris is coming at the end of October. I can't explain how exciting that is! I could start crying right now if I really think about how exciting that is for me. As far as my house in the village they fixed the windows and put cage mesh on all the windows and put locks on all the doors. They fixed the shower door too but I just put some extra tin to cover some spots so I feel more comfortable. All they have to do now is to put the bamboo cage to my bathroom. So, basically everything is good i just don't use the bathroom at night. I have the whole place to myself so that's nice. It was hell getting all my stuff to my village. The Peace Corps hired a bus for all the viti levu islanders but by the time the bus would have reached Tavua it would have been 9 at night and there is no transport to my village at that time. So, I had to spend the night with Kiva in Lautoka (The second largest city in Fiji, probably my favorite city so far). Then take a taxi to Ba and then get all my stuff out and get into another taxi from Ba to tavua then get all my stuff out and hire a truck to take my things to my village which wasn't cheap that is for sure. But my counterpart was not there for the first two days which sucked alot and I was very happy to see her yesterday. I went to church yesterday but it was weird because every last Sunday of the month they go to church in family clans which makes no sense to me but whatever. I sat there in a wooden shack sweating and not understanding a word they were saying.

So the people in the village are pretty much banking on the fact that I will be the one to get electricity in their village. Like I am there last hope after all these years of trying. Which is enormous amount of pressure on my side.

I really am starting to miss alot of people from home and things and consequences are getting harder and harder to deal with. I just hope I can deal and stay here in Fiji and help these people get electricity. I have no idea how to do it but at least I have determination. Keep me updated on news from home and remember to write letters to my new address. And don't forget my cellphone works in the village so feel free to text me or/and call please!
Thanks

No comments: