Friday, June 20, 2008

In Suva!

I have figured out the way to get all my pictures on my blog, but this internet cafe that I am at right now is not letting me download my pics. The computer isn't working. But I think I might be able to sometime early next week. Mom I got your package the other day! Thank you so much. The candy in there is already gone. Everyone kept saying this candy came all the way from America and somehow that makes the candy taste better. I said it came the great state of West Virginia and everyone starts to sing country roads take me home. That is a very popular song here. We are working on 4 projects right now. Two for our village that we are living in right now. An environmental and health project. The Chief and the elders are asking us to do a two hour program talking about waste management because there is a river at the end of village that everyone throws their trash in. So, we are going to try to explain how that isn't good because people bathe, use the bathroom, and eat prawns and shrimp from there and they taste like polution. And then they want like intro to CPR because the other day we all went to a high Chief's funeral in a close by village and being on time we still waited an hour for it to start. While we were waiting an old man was sitting in front of us and stopped breathing. So, all the sudden all the Fijians stood up and didn't know what to do and started to hit his back and then we realized what was going on and they few of us that know CPR laid him down and cleared the airway and so on. The Fijians we amazed and was so grateful that we were there because they think that if we weren't there the man would have passed away. So, now that news that the whities (American-PeaceCorps) in town has saved a Fijian as spread through the whole district. Now, our village is asking for us to do a CPR program. Which Kiva and I will be doing in a few weeks.

Next Monday, I am teaching a class 8 of about 16 students in a local school about how important nutrition and physical activity is in our daily life. I have an hour to myself. I met the teacher yesterday and the kids they all seem really nice. The kids are really respectful here to adults and especially to foreigners. They call the teachers Madam. Oh yeah! But anyways, I am trying to think of what else has been happening. We had a scavenger hunt this morning in Suva and of course my group won and I had 4 slices of pep. pizza from Pizza Hut. Yummy! That's why I am in Suva right now. I have to head back to Nausori and my village around 4. I am going to be buying a cellphone soon and it is free for me for people from the US to call me. So, as soon as I get my number I will be posting it. Also, text messages will be great too. Phone cards are just too expensive.

So, how is everyone doing? Rebecca how was the wedding? I thought about you all day when it was the time you were to get married, it was like the next day afternoon here. We have least then 2 weeks til we find out our sites. This is a huge deal. that is all we talk about. We also have our mini LPI language test Tuesday so I am a bit nervous about that. My classes are getting better too by the way. The teacher my group had before is now gone and things are much much better. I am actually learning alot. I can't wait for people (Chris, Kels, AND MOM) to visit so i can show off my language skills!!! And show you the ropes. I can't wait to get my own place. I am excited and so scared at the same time because I have to trust others with my safety. I haven't had any problems so far! so that is good. I am very interested to see what kind of job I will be doing. I do know I want to be on the west or north sides of the islands because it is hotter and drier there. Suva and the eastern coast sucks cause it always rains. So remember July 4th is the day.

I already have plans for Christmas this year. My host mom wants me to go to the southern island to visit her family for Christmas. Her dad is the chief so I will be living it up in the village. I am excited at least I have some where to go. If I can remain calm til Chris gets here in November I will be doing good. I thought I would be getting to a point where things should not be shocking me anymore, but they do. I am gotten used to the bucket baths and the babies crying everymorning I wake up and to the food. But other things are always popping up that you don't expect. Like my taxi driver the other day literally almost ran over a child the other day and I was in tears and he acted like he had no idea he almost ended a life. He was like is everything okay? I was like what the hell man? I get really tired of people laughing at us because the language is coming out of our mouths and they are not used of it and they think it is weird so all they do is laugh and all I want is for them to respond to what I am saying correctly in Fijian. That really pisses me off because I am making an effort and I just get laughed in the face. Still haven't gotten over the eguality issues either. I believe that will be an ongoing battle for me. Especially in the villages. But I may not be placed in a village. well I must be going keep checking the blog lots of pics will be up soon and please leave comments. I live for those comments!!!!(and mail)

6 comments:

Boonix said...

Check your duff_in_fiji@yahoo.com email address I just looked and I've sent you two emails to that address do you have another one? are you using the alisha_duff_21@yahoo.com? I love you and I"m sorry if I sent it to the wrong one Let me know which one I should be sending it to you responded to the one and then I replied back to that one knix21@hotmail.com. I'm glad to see that your doing good I hope to talk to you soon

rebecca said...

Hello...! Hey there!
The wedding was wonderful. I named one of the flowers after you so that you were with me all day. It had rained the night before and most of the morning but then about 3pm the sun started to come out and everything was perfect! I have some pictures back but not all of them. Some of my friends had their cameras with them and took a bunch of pictures and then they all got togther and put them on one cd. I can not up load them to the computer at work but when i get home tonight i will send you some through Josh's email.
I am so glad you got cheese, that was really worrying Josh and I. We tried to find away to send you some without it going bad but the only kind we could figure out to send was parmasian and we thought that would make you think of pizza so we decided not to send it.
Anyway i am glad everything is wonderful I will be mailing you some more letters here soon and look for the email with the pictures.

Love ya lots!

mom said...

Hi Boo !!!!!It was so good to see your pretty face and smile. I hope you are doing well looks like it. Rebecca's wedding was wonderful. Everything was just right. She look like a princess, she was so beautiful. I have never blogged before so first time for everything. tell your Fiji family I said hi/// I am so glad to hear from you and that you are doing better on language skills. I bet the village people were glad you all were there to save the elderly man when he could not breath. Those classed will make big difference to the whole village.


This is to all the people you love Alisha please write to her or comment on her blog . This Mama Duff asking nicely

love you boo /////be strong
mom

Lamar22 said...

Hey! Good to see you are doing well. Sorry that I am now just writing you, but it is good to see that you are doing good and having fun. DaQuan, Cordell and Tot said hello.

Unknown said...

Hello Kay! I would have wrote you sooner but Kelvin just fixed it on my computer so I can write. I can tell you are having a good time. I have the grandkids with me for a month and I hope I make it. Don't let others piss you off. Remember you have God on your side and all you have to do is pray. You might by the only light they will ever see. So remember it is not going to be easy, but you will always have a comforter by your side. I love you and be careful.

Kelsey said...

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful!! It reminds me of Panajachel and the gorgeous volcanoes we spent hours looking at! I’m very glad to see that you are doing well. I love to hear about your adventures and we were all so excited to get your letter … you will be receiving something soon via snail mail!! By the way, I can’t WAIT to come visit!!

Keep working hard and remember how proud of you WE ALL ARE!! You are doing such a wonderful thing and although it is not always going to be easy, it is worth it and will be so fulfilling. I can only imagine how happy your home stay family must be with you … especially if you taught them the Western Nest Egg!! I bet they love you! Enjoy every moment and take it all in … check your email soon! Love and miss you!