Wednesday, May 7, 2008

10 days til departure.....

Okay, so this is my first post. I have less than two weeks before I fly out to Los Angeles for orientation. I am very excited about going to Fiji, but at the same time I am trying not to think about all that I am leaving behind. I moved back to West Virginia a few weeks ago and it has been quite different from Charlotte, NC. Things move a lot slower here which I like. I don't have to schedule my plans around five o-clock traffic and of course not going to work as been great. I have gradually been saying my goodbyes. I have left behind the five years I have spent in Charlotte and all my best friends I have met there. Looking back to the day I decided to go to Queens University I never thought I would have had so much fun and met so many great people that will be apart of my life forever. Through the last couple of weeks, I have tried to get over the fact that I will no longer live with my best friends again like I have for the past five years. I can't believe all this is happening. I feel like everything has been stripped from me. I have no job and no best friends. I can only hope to make friends in Fiji like I have in Charlotte. Now, to leave my home, my comfort zone. I will miss the mountains of the West Virginia the most. The beauty of the state is breathtaking. I can't even talk about how much I will miss my family and Chris. So far, this has been one of the hardest things I have ever done and I haven't even done it yet. I have been preparing for this for over a year now. The anxiety is piling up so much I feel like I could explode. I am packing very little (2 bags with a total of 80 pounds) for two years and three months and moving to another country where I know no one. I am relying on complete strangers. I mean who does that? There has been so many ups and downs already I can't even imagine what lies ahead of me. I have read everything I can find about Fiji and I feel like I still have know idea what to expect when I get there. I keep dreaming about the first time I went to Guatemala, when we visited this island off the southern coast to distribute food to families hit by a hurricane. The people were so kind. They were so happy to see us and welcomed us with open arms. They didn't want us to leave. They had little resources on that island and it seemed that the world forgot about them. They had no food, barely much clothes, and certainly a scarce supply of water. I loved it there! I felt like I found heaven. Kids were running around happy not a worry in the world when in reality the world was against them not helping at all. The adults wanted to show us around and were very proud of there homes and schools they have provided for themselves. I miss that place often and I hope Fiji might be something like that. I don't know what to expect only my dreams give me a glimpse of what might lie ahead. I hope to become one of these people, to laugh with them, cry with them, eat with them, suffer with them to understand what it feels like to be forgotten. I know this might sound crazy, but I am ready. I know that I can't change the world in two years, but if I can impact just one person's life it will all be worth it.

To my friends, I beg you to keep in touch with me for I will miss you unbearably. For others, don't be strangers and enjoy this blog about my adventure. Thank you for everyone who have gotten me to this point. I would be nothing without my friends and family. This is as much as your adventure as it is mine!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Duff, You are an AMAZING woman!! When I met you here in Charlotte at the wonderful law firm you got sucked into I would have NEVER thought you would turn out to be what you have. You were ingrossed in soccer and you were always SOOOOO put together with you top fashion outfits and crazy life of a typical college student. I regret that I never got to go out with you but I PROMISE - no matter where I am in life - when you get home or come for a visit I WANT to go out with you!!! :)
You have such a HUGE heart and over the years - seems like forever that I have known you - I have learned more and more about you that truly shocked and amazed me in such great ways. You are a couragious woman and I admire you for what you are leaving behind and what you are about to embark on. I guess its in your families blood to serve and help since your brother is serving in our armed forces as well.

You will always hear from me - no worries there. Just take care of yourself and keep us all up to date. And one thing to remember as you leave your home and get to the airport - IT WILL ALL BE THERE WHEN YOU GET BACK _ PROMISE!!! I know its hard to think and its hard to believe but its true. You friends, family and of course the gorgeous mountains of West VA will all still be there for you waiting on you when you get back!!!

Take care and have fun!!! You will change someones life I KNOW!!!
Can't wait to see pics and hear your stories!!!

Love you like a sister! Caroline

ChrisAnn said...

Alisha, I know that we have lost contact since high school. But I know that we could go a life time without talking and then talk again like we were in second grade again. Every one here will miss, but enjoy your time in Fiji. The people there are very lucky to be getting such a wonderful person to come and help them.

I will miss you! If you ever get home sick just remember your Mom singing "Little Bunny Foofoo" to us in your tent with the shadow of the flashlight.

Love you! ChrisAnn

Sally said...

Duff, Duff, Powderpuff!

We have some files in post-closing for you to ship! ha ha ! This is the first time I've ever blogged (am I saying that correctly? Sounds like a Medical problem! Like, sorry boss, I can't come to work today because I BLOGGED this morning......oh well, I find it humorous!)

I miss you, you skinny whippersnapper! It is so quiet around the office these days with you gone! (well....let's see here, that could actually be a GOOD thing!)

Oh well, I wish you well, my friend! I hope you have as much fun as a barrel of monkeys in Fiji!

Funny, you said that you can take 2 80 pound suitcases...that's MORE THAN YOU WEIGH! You might want to consider climbing inside one of those suitcases and just FEDEX yourself to the islands! Might be cheaper!

Take care, darlin'....you are missed!

Love,

Sal

Chris Nix said...

I Love You and I'm going to miss you like crazy! but i will always be here for you no matter how far apart we are. You will always be my babygirl. even though you haven't left I can't wait for you to get back.